Books on the Line<p>Picture of Dowlais Cae Harris engine shed north-east of Merthyr, thought to be taken between 1957 and 1964.</p><p>Opened by the Rhymney Railway in 1876 it was closed by BR in 1964.</p><p>During early BR days the shed was large enough to house no fewer than 8 of the ubiquitous Class 56xx 0-6-2T locomotives.</p><p>Photo: W.A. Camwell</p><p>Read much more about the shed on this Stephenson Locomotive Society page:</p><p><a href="https://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/Archived%20pages/SPC%20and%20photo%20sub-pages/sls_what_when_where_151.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener" translate="no"><span class="invisible">https://www.</span><span class="ellipsis">stephensonloco.org.uk/Archived</span><span class="invisible">%20pages/SPC%20and%20photo%20sub-pages/sls_what_when_where_151.htm</span></a></p><p><a href="https://toot.wales/tags/RailwayHistory" class="mention hashtag" rel="tag">#<span>RailwayHistory</span></a> <a href="https://toot.wales/tags/Merthyr" class="mention hashtag" rel="tag">#<span>Merthyr</span></a> <a href="https://toot.wales/tags/Railways" class="mention hashtag" rel="tag">#<span>Railways</span></a> <a href="https://toot.wales/tags/Dowlais" class="mention hashtag" rel="tag">#<span>Dowlais</span></a></p>